Our Mission & Strategic Plan
North Cascades Institute’s mission is to inspire and empower environmental stewardship for all through transformative educational experiences in nature
Strategic Plan 2017 – 2019
I. IMPACT: Strengthen the Institute’s impact and meet the needs of diverse communities by pursuing new opportunities for programs, partners and audiences
- Promote diversity, equity and inclusion throughout the Institute’s culture, work and partnering relationships to ensure that the Institute and its programs are welcoming, relevant and accessible.
- Integrate and expand climate literacy throughout Institute programs.
- Inspire and empower educators through activities that build skills and confidence in experiential outdoor learning, teach environmental concepts and issues and provide opportunities for environmental stewardship.
- Cultivate productive relationships with regional and national stakeholders and decision-makers to support and promote conservation and experiential outdoor learning
II. LIFELONG LEARNING: Encourage and facilitate ongoing engagement with nature by offering programs for people from early childhood through adulthood
- Explore new learning sites and partnerships that connect people to nature in their own communities.
- Create career opportunities and leadership experiences by offering internship, apprenticeship, volunteer and employment opportunities through the Institute and its partners.
- Increase the direct impact of the graduate program through community service and leadership and partnership opportunities.
III. CONSERVATION IN PRACTICE: Model environmental stewardship at North Cascades Institute by practicing and promoting conservation and sustainability
- Strengthen the foodshed initiative, citizen science, and the connection between nature and human health in Institute programs.
- Educate about and advocate for selected issues that align with the Institute’s mission and values.
- Develop and implement an organization-wide plan for sustainable operations.
IV. CAPACITY: Achieve sustainable growth and stability in core programs and operations while ensuring the Institute’s ability to respond to opportunity and challenge
- Establish integrated, rolling five-year financial and program plans to guide sustainable growth.
- Engage the board of directors and Institute community more deeply with major donors and corporations to grow resources for future initiatives.
- Develop plans for leadership succession and professional development for key positions throughout the Institute.