Work in the mountains! North Cascades Institute seeks a qualified, enthusiastic individual to become its Sous Chef at the North Cascades Environmental Learning Center, an educational field campus in North Cascades National Park. Supervised by the Chef/Food Service Manager, this position works closely with Institute staff, partners and contractors to support a wide array of educational programs for children and adults. This includes the “Foodshed Project,” our initiative to incorporate local, organic products in the operation of the Learning Center, as well as education programs about food choice, sustainable agriculture, wild edibles and culturally important foods in the Pacific Northwest. The Learning Center is located in North Cascades National Park near Diablo and is approximately 20 miles from the nearest gas station and post office, 60 miles from towns with full amenities. This is a full-time regular, non-exempt position.
- At least two years of professional food service experience that includes the following:
• Catering and or institutional style food preparation.
• Maintaining cleanliness and function of food service facilities and equipment.
• Interest in organic, local, and slow food.
• Recycling, composting and waste handling.
• Placing food orders and maintaining inventory.
- Ability to take initiative and prioritize tasks with exemplary time management and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to comply with a smoke and drug-free work environment.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds occasionally and walk over uneven terrain.
- Possession of current driver’s license with acceptable driving record (driving record for the past 3 years required).
- Background check and criminal history disclosure.
- Washington State food handler’s permit.
- Ability to interact with a diverse clientele including school children.
- Previous food service experience at other residential learning centers, camps, schools or similar facilities.
- Previous experience preparing diverse, health-conscious meals for children and adult groups (up to 80 at a time), including foods that incorporate fresh, local and/or organic ingredients.
- Wilderness first responder first aid, or CPR certification.
FOOD SERVICE AND PREPARATION
- Prepares food for meals typically served buffet-style to children and adult groups (up to 80 at a time).
- Assists with ordering based on the anticipated count and menus.
- Assists with creating age-appropriate menus for children in overnight school programs, using recipes for consistency, cost control and appealing servings that avoid unnecessary waste. These menus will incorporate federal government school lunch program guidelines for children.
- Assists with creating menus for adults and families in overnight programs as well as large-group events.
MAINTENANCE AND CLEANLINESS
- Maintains exemplary standards of cleanliness in the dining hall, kitchen, walk-in and food pick-up area.
- Assists in ware-washing program and any interface with youth or adult participants.
- Actively participates in recycling program, composting, use of green materials and local products as related to food service.
Compensation, Benefits and Housing
This is a full-time, regular, non-exempt position with a one-month winter furlough. We offer a comprehensive compensation package, including competitive hourly wage, medical and dental benefits, paid time off (sick, vacation and holidays), short and long-term disability and life insurance, and tax defined annuity and contribution retirement plans.
Rental housing on or near campus may be available. Pets and smoking are not allowed in housing or on campus.
Position will remain open until filled.
January 2014, preferred.
Please send letter of interest, resume, salary history and names of three references with current contact information to:
North Cascades Institute
Sous Chef Search
810 State Route 20
Sedro-Woolley, WA 98284
Fax: 360-856-1934, attention North Cascades Institute
Equal Opportunity Employer: Recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce is a high priority at North Cascades Institute. The Institute does not discriminate on the basis of age, gender, race, national origin, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, political affiliation, marital status, age (over 40), veteran status, physical or mental disability, ex-offender status or any other basis prohibited by law in any of its policies or programs.
North Cascades Institute: Our mission is to conserve and restore Northwest environments through education. Since 1986 we have helped connect people, nature and community through science, art, literature and the hands-on study of natural and cultural history. Our goal is to help people of all ages experience and enjoy the mountains, rivers, forests, people and wildlife of the Pacific Northwest – so all will care for and protect this special place.
North Cascades Institute is committed to innovation and excellence in environmental learning and leadership in the nonprofit community. We believe that sustainable communities are built on healthy environments, vibrant economies and social equity.