Internships at North Cascades Institute
Internships at North Cascades Institute
North Cascades Institute provides exciting opportunities to gain professional experience in environmental education and learning center operations in the heart of the North Cascades. We offer a variety of internships for motivated undergraduate students that are based out of our Environmental Learning Center, located on the shores of Diablo Lake in North Cascades National Park. Interns are supervised by program staff who aim to provide interns hands-on professional experience in environmental education, including teaching, program development, administration and operations.
PLEASE NOTE THAT OUR INTERNSHIP PROGRAM IS CURRENTLY ON HOLD AND APPLICATIONS ARE NO LONGER BEING ACCEPTED.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST AND PLEASE CHECK BACK AGAIN IN THE FUTURE.
- Mountain School (Spring or Fall, serving 5th - 12th grade students)
- Adult and Family (Summer, serving all ages)
- Farm to Table Culinary Education (Summer, serving all ages)
- We also offer Apprentice positions with our Youth Leadership Adventures program, which are posted on our Employment page.
Primary duties include observing, assisting, and co-teaching in education programs, assisting with Learning Center operations, and participating in Institute events, staff meetings, and program debriefs; as such, interns will work under close supervision from supervisors and mentors.
Interns are also responsible for completing an independent project related to their experience that is connected to internship requirements from their undergraduate institution. Internships are unpaid and full-time with some weekend work, depending on the position.
There is some flexibility with responsibilities based upon individual university requirements and individual skills and interest. It is the responsibility of the intern to complete paperwork with his or her university necessary to receive credit for the internship (if applicable).
- Spring Internships: Early March – Mid-June
- Summer Internships: Early to Mid-June – Late-August
- Fall Internships: Late-August – Mid-November
Strong applicants will be creative, flexible and dependable undergraduates working towards a degree or with a sincere interest in environmental science, multicultural education, environmental education, or related field. Experience working with children in the field of environmental education is preferred. A strong work ethic, excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with a team will ensure success in this position.
The following are minimum qualifications. Please see specific full internship descriptions for each program area for more detailed requirements.
- 18 years of age or older
- Enrolled at an accredited college or university (junior or senior status preferred)
- Some coursework in environmental studies, science, education, or related field
- CPR/First-Aid Certification (Wilderness First-Aid required for Youth Leadership Adventures internships)
- Experience working with youth
- Ability to hike four miles with a backpack
- Willingness to live in a rural area
- Enthusiasm for the mission of North Cascades Institute
- Training and team-teaching opportunities in a place-based, multi-age, experiential learning environment
- Training in teaching, curriculum development, administration, operations and risk management
- Support and supervision from an experienced mentor staff member
- A customized program designed to meet individual professional goals Immersion in a dynamic, educational community in the heart of North Cascades National Park
- Shared housing for the duration of the internship at the North Cascades Environmental Learning Center or in the neighboring towns of Diablo or Newhalem
- Meals at the Environmental Learning Center when programs are in session
How to Apply
Please see full internship descriptions in each program area for application details and more information:
Send completed materials to firstname.lastname@example.org
2014 Application Closing Dates
- Spring 2014 Internships: January 30, 2014 (Filled)
- Summer 2014 Internships: March 15, 2014 (Filled)
- Fall 2014 Internships: Open until filled
2015 Application Closing Dates
- Spring 2015 Internships: January 10, 2015
- Summer 2015 Internships: March 15, 2015 (Closed for time being)
- Fall 2015 Internships: May 1, 2015 (Closed for time being)
Recruiting and retaining diverse staffing is a high priority at North Cascades Institute. The Institute does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military or marital status, age, sensory, physical or mental disability, genetic information or any other basis prohibited by law in any of its policies or programs.