Leadership Corps is a 31-day course for motivated students ages 18-22 who are alumni of North Cascades Wild, Cascades Climate Challenge or similar programs. The Corps experience provides participants with more in-depth workplace and leadership skills while teaching them to be become lifelong stewards of, and advocates for, public lands. Six students receive four weeks of backcountry trail maintenance and ecological restoration work experience with North Cascades National Park while learning about natural resource management and careers in public lands. Students receive training in leadership, natural resources management, backcountry travel, public speaking and careers in natural resources. The 31-day course culminates in an evening ranger program presented by crewmembers to visitors of North Cascades National Park. All gear, food and transportation from the Seattle-area, Skagit and Whatcom counties are provided.
The course includes:
- 31-day backcountry leadership course for alumni ages 18-22
- $800 stipend upon completion of the summer course
- Fall Reunion, Youth Leadership Conference, year-round mentorship and stewardship opportunities
July 17-August 16, 2013
- Significantly expand your outdoor leadership experience
- Further develop your workplace, leadership and communications skills
- Gain trail maintenance and natural resources management skills
- Enhance your resume
- Prepare yourself for potential employment with the federal government
- Challenge yourself during a month-long work experience exploring the North Cascades
- Receive an $800 stipend upon completion of the summer course!
How to apply:
Application deadline: April 1, 2013
North Cascades Institute, Attn: Leadership Corps Application
Mail: 810 State Route 20, Sedro-Woolley, WA 98284
We can only review complete applications received by the April 1 deadline. We will contact applicants that appear to be a good fit for the program for an interview in early April. All applicants will be notified of their acceptance by April 19.