North Cascades Institute seeks a qualified and enthusiastic individual to become the Retail Manager for six retail stores. The Retail Manager serves as the lead staff for North Cascades National Park Bookstores, which include six retail locations in and near North Cascades National Park. They coordinate and support work done by National Park Service, United States Forest Service and Institute staff at all sales locations. North Cascades Institute operates the stores in partnership with North Cascades National Park, the United States Forest Service and Seattle City Light. The Retail Manager is based out of the Institute’s administrative office in Sedro-Woolley, WA, which is about 30 minutes from Bellingham. This position supervises the Retail Associate.
The stores are located in Sedro-Woolley, Marblemount, Newhalem (2 stores), the Environmental Learning Center on Diablo Lake, and Stehekin, on the north end of Lake Chelan. The stores in Sedro-Woolley and the Environmental Learning Center are open year round. The other stores are seasonal and operate generally between April and October annually.
North Cascades National Park Bookstores support the National Park Service mission to “preserve unimpaired the natural and cultural resources and values of the national park system for the enjoyment, education, and inspiration of this and future generations.” It furthers the mission of North Cascades Institute to “conserve and restore Northwest environments through education.”
The bookstore will offer books, trail guides and maps as well as high quality, mission-appropriate educational products, apparel, mementos and other merchandise that appeal to a variety of visitors and inspires them to experience, enjoy and appreciate the North Cascades.
- Lead all store operations including merchandise development, buying, inventory accounting, marketing and in-store merchandising for annual gross sales of approximately $300,000.
- Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate retail associate; train and support the work of NPS and USFS employees who handle sales.
- Work within the North Cascades National Park guidelines for merchandise selection and approval.
- Develop bookstore brand position, promotions, displays and in-store events. Manage merchandise displays in an organized and appealing manner to promote sales.
- Manage financial operations including budget, sales forecasts and goals. Confer with supervisor regarding management of inventory.
- Maintain a consistently high level of customer service.
- Articulate and actively promote Institute and NPS mission, programs and membership through merchandising and staff training.
- Collaborate with advisory committee and Institute staff to develop long-term strategies for success.
- Establish and maintain a professional working relationship with employees of North Cascades National Park, Mount Baker Snoqualmie National Forest and Seattle City Light.
- Develop working knowledge of the Point of Sale (POS) system to generate reports and analyses. Maintain accurate database. Trouble-shoot POS problems at all sales sites.
- Provide for the sales and record keeping of the America the Beautiful, United States Forest Service, and Washington State Parks and Recreation Sno-Park passes.
- Administer and supervise policies for the handling of cash, daily sales, and sales discrepancies. Process remits for 5 stores weekly. Monitor resupplying of change bags and tills at all sites.
- Accurately handle all paperwork associated with ordering, receiving, shipping, invoicing, returns, consignment and credit card purchases.
- During the peak summer season visit stores weekly and travel to Stehekin two to four times as needed.
- Participate in off-site events that offer the opportunity for sales and promotion of NCI.
- College degree preferred and/or equivalent years of experience
- Two year full time experience in book and/or gift buying
- Two years experience in direct customer service
- One year experience supervising
- Experience with computerized sales and inventory management system.
- Ability to work in a high energy, fast paced environment
- Ability to work with a diverse population of customers and associates
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to perform work accurately and with attention to detail
- Pass a federal background check in order to access federal buildings
- Pass a background check, credit check and criminal history disclosure
- Valid driver’s license, driving record check must have no more than 1 moving violation in the past three years, no DUI, reckless driving, or serious moving violations, etc.)
- Use of Institute vehicles (when available); need own transportation to travel to retail stores
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling of average-weight objects up to 40 pounds or standing and/or walking for more than four (4) hours per day.
Compensation: This is a regular, full-time, exempt position. We offer a competitive compensation package; benefits include paid time-off, medical/dental insurance, long and short-term disability insurance, tax-defined annuity and contribution retirement plan and a yearly stipend to participate in Institute programs. There is an active carpool from Bellingham to the Sedro-Woolley office.
Start Date: August 3, 2015
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
To Apply: Please send letter of interest, resume, and names of three references with current contact information to: firstname.lastname@example.org [subject line: Retail Manager] or North Cascades Institute Retail Manager Search 810 State Route 20 Sedro-Woolley, WA 98284
Equal Opportunity Employer: Recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce is a high priority at North Cascades Institute. The Institute does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, military, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, age, citizenship or any other basis prohibited by law in any of its policies or programs.
About North Cascades Institute: The Institute’s mission is to conserve and restore Northwest environments through education. Since 1986 we have helped connect people, nature and community through science, art, literature and the hands-on study of natural and cultural history. Our goal is to help people of all ages experience and enjoy the mountains, rivers, forests, people and wildlife of the Pacific Northwest – so all will care for and protect this special place. The Institute is committed to innovation and excellence in environmental learning and leadership in the nonprofit community. We believe that sustainable communities are built on healthy environments, vibrant economies and social equity.
North Cascades Institute is a respected, national leader among U.S. environmental education organizations. The Institute is in sound financial health with a $3 million budget and strong reserves. In 2013, Charity Navigator awarded the Institute its 10th consecutive Four-Star rating placing the Institute in the top 1% of nonprofit organizations demonstrating exemplary fiscal management and commitment to accountability and transparency. The Institute was also voted “Best Place to Work” in the 2013 Bellingham Alive – Best in the Northwest annual readers’ poll. This is a wonderful opportunity to join North Cascades Institute at a time of exciting growth.
For more information, please visit our webpage: www.ncascades.org