• Enthusiasm for working with and learning “Food shed” principals and the “Slow Food” movement.
• Professional food service experience
• Ability to take directions and learn all about “Cooking Local”.
• Ability to comply with a smoke- and drug-free work environment
• Ability to lift 50 pounds occasionally and walk over uneven terrain
• A pre-employment or post-hire background screening and criminal history check
• Washington State food handler’s permit
• Previous food service experience at other residential learning centers, camps, schools or similar facilities
• Professional food service experience in an institutional setting, preparing diverse, health-conscious meals for children and adult groups, including foods that incorporate fresh, local and/or organic ingredients
• Current certification as Wilderness First Responder, first aid, or CPR.
FOOD SERVICE AND PREPARATION
• Helps the Chef and Sous Chef prepare food on a daily basis for meals typically served buffet-style.
• On occasion will be responsible for solo shifts.
MAINTENANCE AND CLEANLINESS
• Maintains exemplary standards of cleanliness in the dining hall, kitchen, walk-in and food pick-up area.
• Assists in ware-washing program and any interface with staff and guest participants.
• Actively participates in recycling program, composting, use of green materials and local products as related to food service.
• Participates in general staff responsibilities such as staff meetings, hands to work, risk management, and hospitality.
• Participates in strategic planning, staff retreats, and other duties as assigned by the Operations Director and/or Executive Director.
This is a seasonal/temporary, full-time non-exempt position. The wage (mid-range) is $12.00 per hour depending on experience and skill level. Benefits include holiday pay. Pets and smoking are not allowed on campus. Housing option available.
Position will remain open until filled.
Duration of Position
Start/end date is March 20- November 1, 2013
Please send letter of interest, resume, salary history and names of three references with current contact information to:
North Cascades Institute
810 State Route 20
Sedro-Woolley, WA 98284
North Cascades Institute programs and employment are open to all. The Institute does not discriminate on the basis of age, gender, race, national origin, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or disability in any of its policies or programs.